Pages

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Size Matters: Which Screen Size Suits You Better?

DSC06539

This is an era that has a massive explosion of gadgets, ranging from smartphones, cameras to gaming consoles and home entertainment system. No matter what kind of gadgets that is, a screen is usually attached to it and the screen size has always been an important factor when people make a purchase decision, especially in the case of buying a phone, a tablet, or a computer. 

I personally own two phones, three tablets and one laptop, with an external monitor plugged in. They have all kinds of screen sizes but I do find they are all useful on different occasions .

My previous phone is Sony Xperia S. Its 4.3 inch screen is very sufficient for daily use and high contrast and brightness make it even more pleasing to eyes. Then I upgraded to iPhone 5. Though the screen is smaller compared to Xperia S, I actually didn't notice that when I was using it. However, I do notice the difference between iPhone 5 and 4S. I guess in the smartphone space anything that is above 4'' would be sufficient for me. Some people may prefer even larger screens like Samsung Galaxy Note II, which has a massive 5.5'' screen. It is great for people who take notes on their phones and watch videos on the go. Personally, I still find that is too big as I prefer put my phone in pocket and I do not take notes on the go either. 

Then here comes tablet. I owned iPad 1before when it was first introduced. I must say it totally showed me a whole new world of entertainment. Initially people talked about it as if it is just an enlarged version of iPod touch. But now the sales has proved them wrong. The 9.7'' screen makes many experiences more delightful, such as reading, watching video or just surfing the web. It is my best mate before bedtime because I just want some light reading and when I feel sleepy and I could easily put aside my iPad and go to sleep.

But I seldom go out with my iPad as it is still a bit of weight and size until iPad mini was introduced. Its 7.9'' screen is so close to 9.7, however, it addresses many problems that I have with my iPad 2. Now it is smaller and lighter. Carrying an iPad mini is such a breeze. Moreover, actually it does not compromise that much when watching a video. Personally I don't watch many high-definition video on iPad, more often they are Youtube videos that is only 360p or 480p. A smaller screen actually makes it less stretched. I guess for tablet, something around 7'' would be perfect for daily use. 

Finally, laptops and computers. Years ago, people were still pursuing large screen laptops like 17'' or 15''. Nowadays most common ones are around 13'' or 14''. 'On the go' is a very important criterion when choosing a laptop now: smaller, lighter and longer battery power. I find 13'' is very useful but sometimes I want an 11'' laptop if I want to work on a coffee table. Users with less requirement in mobility can still opt for a 15'' laptop as most of them weigh above 2kg. 

At home, 13'' or 15'' are too small. That's why I bought an external monitor, Dell U2311H. It is good for both office work or entertainment. Of course 27'' is another option but I may need to sit back more and of course more investment. So 23'' screen is sufficient for my use for now. If you need to work on video or pictures very often, 27'' would still suit better for that purpose. 

All in all, it really depends on individual's preference when choosing a gadget with a suitable screen size. Have a hands-on before buying the device seems to be a wise thing to do. However, you may still end up like me, loving all different sizes of them. 

Technorati Tags: , , , , , ,

3 comments: