Pages

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

My Choice for Travel Landscape Photography - Sony A6000 with 10-18mm F4 OSS

It must be really a long time since my last update (actually, more than a year!). i’ve been very busy with work schedule so the site didn’t get very maintained with updates.

I didn’t have much time for photography, neither. So I was pretty much satisfied with Sony RX1’s performance for my daily use despite the temptation of the later generation of A7 series. However, I just got something new last weekend. As you can tell, instead of getting the trendy A7 mark II or A7S. I got myself a Sony A6000 body and an ultra wide angle lens, 10-18mm F4 OSS.

The reason that I need a new camera is simple - I am travelling! The destination this time is Turkey - a fantastic place combining west and east, european and asian. It’s famous for its cultural heritage and one of its most important highlights is the architecture. The churches and mosques are so grand and one of a kind. I certainly want to capture the best of them when I am there. An UWA lens will definitely help serve this purpose.

I am an advocate for travel light. Any extra weight to carry will kill the appetite of shooting pictures. So DSLR for sure, is out of my options. For smaller compact cameras, we’ve got recently launched Panasonic LX100, and Sony’s best-selling RX100 Mark III. They both received many positive responses and do have small bodies. However, both cameras have lens integrated and its widest is at 24mm (35mm equivalent). That is not wide enough for the landscape or buildings in Turkey, as I read through some travel blogs. Sony A7 Mark II and its latest 16-35mm FE mount look like the perfect fit. However, it costs a small fortune and out of my budget range (both camera and lens are SGD 2,000 plus each so it ends up being more than SGD 4,000 in total). That’s why I settled at my final choice - A6000 with lens 10-18mm F4 OSS.

I’ve reviewed the lens 10-18mm before. I was impressed with its performance even back then. And 10mm is probably the widest for APS-C cameras (9mm will be fish eyes) I have seen. A6000 receives quite good reviews from many users. No doubt, it was designed and built based on Sony's abundant experience and knowledge of its predecessors - NEX series. This camera was approaching the end of product cycle so I managed to get some good bargain as well.

Here are some usual unboxing photos..

 

DSC03032

As always, the orange colour for Sony alpha series.

DSC03033

Sony A6000 body, kind of a shame not having the hot shoe cover.. How much does that cost?

DSC03037

The rear side. I like the built-in electronic viewfinder. It’s pretty bright and clear, and doesn’t have any lag issues.

 DSC03039

The dials are well made, which reminds of previous NEX-7. The second dial is also customisable. 

DSC03041

The screen can be tilted 90 degree upwards. Too bad it can’t flip 180 degrees for selfies. But you probably expected that since there is a viewfinder in the way.

DSC03043

And here is the 10-18mm F4 lens.. Relatively large size compared to its E-mount peers.

DSC03044

It has built-in OSS, somewhat compensating the lack of large aperture. 

DSC03045

The body and lens assembled. It’s not very compact, but likely the smallest I can get for such wide angle.

DSC03049

The top view, indeed the 10-18mm is a bulk head.

Unnamed

 

I haven’t really got much chance of taking pictures with the new gears yet. Below is just a picture to show how wide the lens is at 10mm.. (I took the photo right in front of the table). I shall give more hands-on experience when I’m on the road.

DSC00002 3

DSC00008

 

 

6 comments:

  1. Thanks you for sharing the unique content. you have done a great job. I appreciate your effort and I hope that you will get more positive comments from the web users.

    SEO Training in Chennai

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best things of reading this article is you gets a lot of information & it is a well written article that is really good.

    seo company in Jaipur

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks a lot for sharing, this really helped in my workSattaking

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well explained article, loved to read this blog post and bookmarking this blog for future.https://martinhfda22223.wssblogs.com/6194955/all-about-satta-king

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well explained article, loved to read this blog post and bookmarking this blog for future.http://xuekegu.com/home.php?mod=space&uid=716405

    ReplyDelete