Pages

Monday, April 2, 2012

Are You Getting the New iPad?

IPad PFV PFVLF Springboard PRINT
The long waited new iPad has been out for a few weeks. One of my friends also preordered his new toy and got it on the first day. I got a chance to play with it for a while. Many are asking me whether I am upgrading my iPad 2 to the latest generation since I upgraded to iPad 2 from iPad 1. After some careful thoughts, I decide to keep my iPad 2 in hand.

There are a few reasons for me to decide not to go for the upgrade. Of course these reasons may only be valid for some people. 

First, look at what is different from my iPad. The very first thing is the retina display with amazing resolution 2048*1536. There is no way for iPad 2 being on par with this. Text and pictures are crystal clear. Especially for photographers who likes to import and view their photos on iPad, this could be a huge bonus. However, I personally do feel that the iPad 2 screen is good enough since I do not read or watch the screen in that close distance like what I did with my iPhone 4.



To support the high resolution display, Apple has put in the A5X processor to speed up the processing rate. The side effect is that after some time the new iPad is somewhat heated up. The heat is moderate so it's still okay, but you can feel the difference if you have been an iPad 2 user for some time.

Good thing is the battery life has been kept at the same level. However, its tradeoff is that the new iPad is a bit thicker and heavier (WIFI only model: 9.4mm vs. 8.8mm, 652g vs. 601g). It may not be so significant by just looking at the numbers, but I do feel a difference when I hold both devices in hand at the same time. And this is the deal breaker for me. In fact, that's exactly the reason why I upgraded from the first generation iPad to iPad 2, because iPad 2 is lighter and thinner. I love how things are for my current iPad 2, easy to carry and not felt bulky even with the smart cover.

The advertised 4G network support has been rendered useless due to the network incompatibility in Singapore. 5 megapixel camera is much better compared to the one on iPad 2. However, I rarely use that to take pictures.

So, I made my decision that I should wait for the next generation to come before I replace my iPad 2. For sure, in my opinion, the new iPad is still the best tablet in the market for now. If you don't own an iPad or other tablet, I strongly recommend you to get one because it will simply amaze you. However, if you have an iPad 2 like me and have been very satisfied with it so far, I suggest you to hold back and wait for the even better iPad in 2013 :)

Technorati Tags: , , , ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment